Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Just a Question from Someone Technologically Challenged

                I have never considered myself savvy in the technology department (and probably never will!) In fact, if it were not for school, I probably wouldn’t even own a computer. So as I was posting some comments on other blogs, it occurred to me, why does it always come up with the word verification. The word is always slanted and hard to read, but it offers a handicapped version, if you will, for those having a hard time reading the slanted version. What is the purpose of this extra step before posting a comment? This does not come up when I post a blog, but always when I post a comment. It is not like I need to enter a secret password or anything, just retype the word that pops up on the screen. I do not see the purpose. Someone please enlighten me.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I have the same question as yours and I found some information that it may not related to keeping secret or verifying the authority. But just prevent people from using the machine automatically registered, login, or even send spams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very interesting thought. I have always wondered that, I must say it is quite annoying. What good does it do? How would this prevent people from doing something all they would have to do is type in what appears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it has something to do with other computers or viruses not being able to read the letters and therefor not being able to get access to the site.

    ReplyDelete