Monday, October 17, 2011

Navajo Code Talkers

In The Code Book, by Simon Singh, I learned that the Navajo language was actually used as a code in itself during World War II. I found this piece of history rather fascinating, and even more fascinating that I did not know about it! The Navajo code talkers contributed to a major part of the war effort during World War II. There is even a date, August 14, set apart in honor of the work the Navajo tribe did to further the Allies to victory. Still, this is not something you learn about from your middle school or high school teachers when covering World War II.
It is indeed a brilliant idea to use a language unfamiliar to most of the world as a secret method of communication. It is much faster than mechanical codes and was on of the few unbreakable codes throughout history. However, I cannot help but wonder about the security of such a code compared to a written key. While it is true that not many people are familiar with the Navajo language, it is also true that not everyone who knew that language was working as a secret code breaker. That being said, if the enemy was able to determine that the language of the transmitted messages was Navajo, then one had easy access to finding someone who could “break the code” (or someone who spoke Navajo.) Unlike written keys, the language is not something that is contained within the walls. There are not only two copies, one for the sender and one for the receiver. I wonder, were Navajos ever kidnapped and forced to translate the messages? How would one go about translating the message, if the Navajo did not speak the language of the enemy? Or was the problem recognizing that the language was in fact Navajo?
This method of secret communication is probably not still used today (or I imagine it would still be classified information). If the code was indeed unbreakable, why stop using it? Did the enemy catch on and send people of their own to learn the mystifying language? The Code Book gives us the beginning of the Navajo story, but how does it end?

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I just think about the security of using language as codes. First, the language must be unfamiliar to most of other people. It is rare and unique, without any similar languages. Second, it should not include some characteristics that are common in other language. Although, some languages meet those requirement, if there are some people not loyal enough to their country, and even leak out the exact meaning of the language, its security will be utterly damaged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I also believe that this spoken code is very safe and was a brilliant maneuver used by the Allies. I know that there is a slight possibility that the Germans could have captured a code talker but couldn't you also say the same for a holder of the Enigma machine. If the allies were to capture a German who was well educated and efficient with the Enigma, wouldn't this be the same thing? Just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just gonna state the obvious here, who in the military thought this was a bad idea? I mean it seems so obvious now, using a language that the enemy isn't familiar with to encode messages with. It boggles my mind why no one though of doing it sooner.

    ReplyDelete